Advantages of using this module instead of UrlRewrite IIS

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Can you tell me what the advantages are of using this module instead of using the UrlRewrite extension of IIS?

Only the syntax?

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Edited Jan 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM
You don't need access to the IIS console with this one.

Jan 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Edited Jan 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

But the IIS edit console saves the rules to the web.config, right? So you can edit the web.config manually or (create a web editor for it like yours) and publish it or am i missing something?

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Edited Jan 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Users might not have access to the console, or can't install the module. If changing the web.config is fine for you, go for it.

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Ok thanks for your explanation. Another thing i can imagine is that when you're familiar with the syntax of htaccess and not urlrewrite you don't have to learn two types. Maybe it's an idea to make also support url rewrite so you can choose which you want to use and both can be edited nicely in the backend. Just an idea. Nice module btw!

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but too much work and maintenance ... and actually if they look like really similar.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM

yes i can understand. Another advantage of your module i can think of is that when you're using multiple tenants, the rules are not mixed between tenants!